- LYNK & CO is a new brand with the ambition to challenge the conventions of the automobile industry, addressing the needs and preferences of the new global and connected generation
- A Geely Auto Group brand, designed and engineered in Sweden
- Every model will feature electrified powertrains
- First in the range will be the LYNK & CO 01 - a bold and tech-laden SUV
- Full premium specification and characteristics as standard
- Full mobile connectivity as standard - working in partnership with Ericsson, and exploring unique routes to market with Alibaba and Microsoft
- The most connected car to date, built around an open API and inviting developers' creative ideas to enrich the automotive experience
- Creating new ways of owning and using a car, with built-in sharing functionality and ownership solutions
- Replaces traditional 'trim levels' with simple selection of fully equipped fixed-price collections, drawing inspiration from fashion and technology sectors
- Offering a new route to market, with direct interaction between manufacturer and consumer, personalized services and hassle-free ownership at the most competitive price point
- Based on Compact Modular Architecture (CMA), shared with Volvo
- Sold throughout the world, from 2017 in China, followed by Europe and U.S.
Friday, October 21, 2016
Geely Launches LYNK & CO - Its New Global Car Brand
In some ways this is a surprise. Geely, that Chinese company which owns Volvo Car has now come up with another car brand that will go global. The brand is called LYNK & CO. I wonder if there are any other car companies that have the '& Co' and how are we going to call the car? Just 'Lynk' or do we need to call it 'LynkCo' or 'Lynk & Co'?
Anyway, this is a Geely group brand. It isn't designed in China. It is designed and engineered in Sweden, where Volvo is located. Looking through the short press release, I gather that it will use technology developed by Volvo Car as every Lynk model will feature electric powertrains in one way or the other (hybrid, plug in hybrid or full electric).
The first Lynk, called the LYNK & CO 01 is a 'Tech SUV'. Which explains why it is called LYNK. For 'link' I presume. There should be connectivity, electric vehicle statue or hybrid and other tech stuff. And think of it as AIRBNB for cars, Park up, hit the Share button and set the time you’ll be back. This is another scheme for the Lynk & Co.
It has slightly awkward looks in my opinion (but the rear looks attractive..more than the front). It is based on the Volvo Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) that would be used in upcoming small Volvos. Shared engines, motors and drive trains too. It also used a smartphone enabled digital key. Like the one Volvo has been researching. Platform sharing is nothing new but again, the surprise is that instead of Geely taking their Geely brand, they've created another.
Another question that would need to be answered is that the position this new brand sits within the Geely group hierarchy. I presume this is for the young, chic and tech savvy buyers. So it sits in a market slightly below Volvo (which have moved properly upmarket - as it should have been since the 1990s).
Expect a LYNK & CO 02, 03, 04 after this. It will be Sold throughout the world, from 2017 in China, followed by Europe and U.S. Of course, not so sure about sales in Malaysia though.
GOTHENBURG, Sweden, /PRNewswire/ --
Lynk & Co: Challenging Auto Industry Conventions
Our industry has been refining design and engineering successfully for decades - but not so much the distribution and ownership model. Our customers' values and preferences have evolved dramatically. It is time for us to step into the future and reinvent the model to become a comprehensive solution for mobility and lifestyle.
This is LYNK & CO - introducing a premium, state of the art range of cars - at the most accessible of price points, challenging and redesigning every link in the chain. Our aim is to enrich and simplify car ownership by redefining how they are bought, owned, connected, serviced and used.
Alain Visser , Senior Vice President of LYNK & CO
The LYNK & CO 01 will be followed by models 02, 03 and so forth as a full range - reflecting the brand's idea of simplifying and challenging industry conventions, right down to model names.
The design brief was simple: the cars should stand out from the crowd and appeal to a global audience. Acknowledging that our users are extremely tech-savvy - our interior design reflects this and feels familiar in the context of new technology.
Andreas Nilsson , Head of LYNK & CO design
We have developed state-of-the-art cars that are strong, lightweight, efficient, fun to drive and packed full of technology.
Mats Fägerhag, CEO of CEVT (China Euro Vehicle Technology) Geely/Volvo R&D center
About LYNK & CO
LYNK & CO is the new global car brand addressing the needs and preferences of a global connected generation and challenging car industry conventions. Its products are designed and engineered in Sweden and will be sold globally, starting with the 01 in China in 2017 followed by Europe and the U.S.
LYNK & CO is a brand from Geely Auto Group, a subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group - the owner of Volvo Cars and London Taxi Company. Geely Auto Group is one of China's largest car manufacturers.
Visit us at http://www.lynkco.com