Monday, April 08, 2019

Find out why I think the W204 Mercedes-Benz C-Class was designed to last a very long time - Video


There is a new video on the Motoring Malaysia YouTube channel folks. This time I've decided to talk about my own car, the 2012 Mercedes-Benz C180 Blue Efficiency W204 series C-Class.



In the video I basically state that Mercedes-Benz has engineered this previous generation of C-Class to last a long time. In fact, it was so well built, I think it was, is better built than the previous W203 C-Class and even the superb W205 C-Class that replaced it. 

The W204 was designed and engineered at a time when Mercedes-Benz learnt that its cost cutting measures first implemented in the W202/203 weren't good towsrds its reputation of building solid cars. With the W204, they became super anal. Everything was engineered to an extent. Even the buttons were tested to have a tactile feel to them with the correct weight or pressure to operate. Pushing buttons and switch gear in the W204 is a pleasure. 

A lot of effort went to this car and the W212 E-Class of the same era. Both are cars which I believe to be the last of an era. These are Mercedes-benz only slightly lesser than the last build quality giants - the W124 E-Class and W140 S-Class. If I were to arrange the most solid post 1989 Mercedes-Benz sedans it would be the W140, W126, W124, W201 (190e), W204, W212, W221 and then comes the W220, W203, W210. Then comes the rest. 

Of course this is my personal opinion derived from driving many of them. You may differ of course.

Anyway, watch the video. See what you think about my opinion on it.

2 comments:

KianHuei said...

I disagree with regards to your comment on W212:
Based on my ownership experience of the W212, it's marred by poor built quality (creaky B pillar plastics) and poor choice of interior cabin material (especially along the centre console which had to be changed after 3 years of daily use). Coming to driving dynamics, it's passive suspension just couldn't cope with Malaysian's roads and it is anything but comfortable

Rigval Reza said...

There is a w212 e300 av that I regularly ride in (a family member's). So far no problems with the centre console as it is garaged and seldom under the sun. The ride is better than any Japanese full sized sedan and it cruises at 160kmh quite well. You may be tougher on the car compared to my uncle!