Saturday, March 02, 2019

Video: Review & Test Drive of the 2019 Proton Iriz 1.6 Premium CVT Facelift - At the Media Unveiling of the Iriz



Now aside from the 2019 Proton Iriz facelift media unveiling article which I linked here, I also have a video review made on the recently unveiled facelifted 2019 Proton Iriz! Yes, I managed to put together a video review of the test drive I had with the soon to be launched Iriz 1.6 Premium CVT.  Watch the video below folks!



The video covers most of the major changes made. I may have left out some of the minor changes but the 'Three Blind Men and an Elephant' comes into play here. There are many other reviews out there on the internet about this Proton Iriz and I am just one of the 'blind men' here. My point of view is, for the lack of a better word, MY point of view. I may see things slightly different from another reviewer, so if you are interested it may be wise if  you go watch everyone who has made a review to actually come up with your own conclusion. My point of view may just guide you on your final verdict of this car.

As for me, the video essentially says what I think about the newly facelifted Iriz (which will be launched sometime in March 2019 (most likely at the end of the month). It is a minor change in terms of what has been done. The bumpers front and rear, the front grille and the front lights have been changed. The infotainment system now sports voice command and it is the only car of its segment with such a system. The interior gets blacked out and the rearview mirror looks cool (ala frameless like a Volvo) in the Premium variant. There are 367 parts which have been changed or upgraded or improved in terms of quality control. These changes supposedly make braking better and there is a slight improvement in quality as well as NVH figures. 



Personally, the NVH levels are only very, very, very slightly noticeable at speeds over 120kmh in the 1.6 we tested. But since this is a facelift, we are still left with the same engine and transmission - a CVT gearbox and that rough engine.  But then again, it was only 2017 when Proton made the Iriz quieter (from worse than industry average to about industry average NVH) with new engine mountings. 

It would be quite expensive for the car maker to spend more money of a chassis which is basically half way through its production life (I predict the Iriz will be around till 2023, or at least a decade. Note this is nothing new as Ford and Volkswagen are now keeping their models for a while longer than before.

So watch the video above folks! I spent good time editing it for you guys to watch. Oh, you can also watch my video on the previous Iriz 1.6 Enhanced down below too! 


No comments: