Monday, May 06, 2019

Video - Which One Handles Better? The new facelifted 2019 Proton Iriz or the facelifted 2019 Proton Persona?


I was extremely busy over the weekend. Proton invited Yours Truly to try out the newly facelifted 2019 Proton Iriz and also the 2019 Proton Persona. While we had tried out the cars over at the PROTON Test Track in Shah Alam, a road test would actually show its actual mettle, or performance. So with that, I chose to head over with a bunch of journos to Terengganu and tried out both facelifted cars during this media test drive. 



This isn't my full opinion of the cars but merely a glimpse of what I thought to be one of the most important aspects of any car - the handling. So I have put together the video you see above where I am of the opinion that of the two, the 2019 Proton Iriz handles better. It is quite easy to come to a conclusion when you get to test them back to back.

The video describes why I came to that opinion, although I must say that the Persona isn't a bad handler at all. It still is one of the better B segment sedans or cars out there. It lost out to the Iriz because I believe Proton set out on making the hatchback first (the Iriz) before making the Persona. So a car that was set out to be a hatchback at first would have better dynamics than the sedan version of it. If I remember correctly, even great handling cars like the Ford Fiesta handled better in its original hatch form rather than its more sedate sedan version. This is the same.

Before I come out with a longer review on the facelifted Iriz and Persona, I hope that this would suffice. Do note that this is a facelift and not a total model change. I do think that Proton has done alot for these cars and they are better than before. They are now right smack in the B segment class in terms of equipment levels, looks and also refinement. They are however, still at the top of the pack when it comes to ride and handling. So, all in all, it is quite a successful facelift in my books.

Oh, if you want my initial impressions, do head over to the YouTube channel for my initial reviews on both the 2019 Iriz and Persona. Watch the videos folks!!!






No comments: