Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Feature - Wan Muhammad Shafiq, A Finance Executive with PROTON - A Freshman in the Automotive Industry


This feature article today is about an Executive from Proton's Finance Department, Mr. Wan Muhammad Shafiq Bin Wan Abdul Rahim. This is a look into how a chap who had just started his working career and basically life as a working adult with a job at Proton. The chap is young, ambitious, and seems to be seeking to improve his educational qualifications too. 


Wan Muhammad has a degree in Accounting and Finance and has also completed his ACCA course where he is a member since 2020. So basically this chap really knows how to count stuff. But he works in a car manufacturing company. Of course, he does, not everyone in a car manufacturing company tightens bolts or designs the cars. There are people who need to count the money coming in and going out too. 

This is a short Q & A of one of the people working in a car making company, who does the normal office stuff. A bright eyed, new face, young and eager. This is what he has to say about his job, his hopes and dreams all condensed in this short article.

This isn't a long Q & A folks. I know you guys can't read so much before going elsewhere.

1. Where did you study? What did you major in? Are you pursuing anything now?

I did my degree in Accounting & Finance from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK. Pursuant to that, while in Proton, I have successfully completed the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) professional course and became a member since January 2020. As for whether I am pursuing anything, I am currently pursuing the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)  programme, as an added knowledge on financials.

2.  How did you land yourself a job in PROTON and since you look quite youthful, is this your first job?

Actually yes, PROTON is my first employer. I applied for a job under the DRB-HICOM Management Trainee Programme (DMTP) and successfully obtained a job placement under PROTON. I believe nowPROTON has a relatively similar programme called Proton Young Talent (PYT) - (Editor* So anyone of you still interested can try an apply for this). 

While I was in DMTP, I had the privilege to experience working in companies under the DRB-HICOM umbrella namely, Pos Malaysia & DRB-HICOM. 


3. Have you always wanted to be an accountant? When, I mean, at what age did you discover that you wanted to pursue accountancy as a major?

When I was younger, I never ever saw myself as an accountant or was even interested to pursue  accountancy after SPM. Truthfully, I really thought I would lean toward the science-stream related pathway (Editor* Well, being a rocket scientist would be nice to dream of becoming). 

Nevertheless, Alhamdulillah (God wiling) with guidance from family, teachers and friends on what would be a good route to furthering my education,  accountancy was something  I ventured into it with an open mind. 

And then I got a scholarship to further my studies overseas in that major so I accepted it in a heartbeat. So, here I am now. (Editor's Note* Bloody good choice actually as these days not many Malaysians get that opportunity. And you may actually have a more open mind on all things)

(Yes boss, Yes boss, No boss, No, Yes, Okay Boss, Alright Boss, I know Boss, But Boss, Okay Boss, You're the Boss, Boss, Bye Boss)

4. Since you are working and studying at the same time, how do you juggle work and studies?

I like to prepare a list of what I want to do for the day. It’s more like a typical to-do list. I make sure I settle my work for the day and the (personal) list can be a mix of studies, hobby, exercise, me-time, family and others. Most importantly, whatever is in the list – I get it done, regardless.

This way, I ensure there are no backlogs, and I can look to tomorrow as another day with its own challenges. This is my way of organising and juggling between work and studies.


5. In your working life so far – what has been the happiest moment

Among the best things that ever happened to me in my PROTON chapter is my teammates. They have been nothing but supportive and guide me until where I am now. They groomed me to be better and because of that, I am motivated to keep improving my abilities and capabilities. I would like to dedicate a very special thanks to these iron ladies – Pn Norsuhaila, Pn Fauziah & Jessie Cheong, for always being there for me through all my ups and downs in work and life. 

Honestly, I could not survive without their support and belief in me.


6. What is next chapter in your life? What do you plan to do?

For now, I have no intention to stop my academic journey just yet. As much as I love this journey, I do hope I can persevere until I complete all academic courses I am pursuing. I also have plans to do my Masters and PhD somewhere in the future, both locally and abroad. To some people, having these qualifications normally leads to academia. 

For me, I do it for the sake of my own satisfaction and another tick off my bucket list.


7. Are there days that you wish that you were not in this line of work, and could had pursued another course in life?

When I was younger, well,..er,..even till today actually , I have always had my eyes on documentaries regarding ocean and fishes. Most often from the National Geographic channels.

I am fascinated by the marine ecosystem, I hope (and still hoping though) to pursue a career in marine ecology…someday..one day.. so that, I can wake up to the ocean, and on a daily basis, I can see my dream pet, which is - the whale! Wish me luck!! 

(Editor* Well, you're still pretty young so you still can dream - and a degree in accounting is actually a stepping stone to anything you want. Like me, I read Law and now I write about anything I want. So it just opens a few more doors than those that do not have that piece of paper you can hang on the wall)

8. What are your other interests in life, apart from numbers and figures, balance sheet, etc?

I have this one ambition (in my bucket list), which is to explore the world. I get easily excited to visit somewhere foreign and different from where I am, especially if I can experience more from nature’s perspective.

My affection towards travelling grew more the more I travel in the company of friends who share the same interests; we love to travel, hiking and taking photographs. Back in 2019, we travelled to Europe, went hiking in Bosnia as well as Turkey - since then, we began to plan our next adventures and started to learn on nature photography and videography. Travelling enriches us - and capturing those moments, are priceless! (Editor* Sigh, wait till the pandemic is over then. 2022 onwards I predict!)


9. If you can have a superpower just for a day? What would that be, and why?

Oh my. Only for a day? hmm..I wish for the ability to control time, where I can make time go slower or faster at will. Haha. I would like to create more memories together, where time is not a boundary. Imagine a situation where you can have more time with a favourite ‘person’ (Eg. Family or closest friends), then this is when I can use the power!

Alright, that's all folks! I think this is as many questions and answers that you folks reading would be interested in. Thanks to PROTON and to Wan Muhammad for an insight into a person who is one of those individuals behind the scenes of our automotive industry.

No comments: