Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Little Extras You Get For Writing, the Perodua Myvi Extreme should have another name and the Project Kahn Range Rover Vogue

By now most of you would notice that I have actually come a fair bit from when I first started way back in 2006. Back then I basically wrote because of the very simple yet famous TopGear motto of "How Hard Can It Be?" 


And so because of this simple thought of how hard can writing automotive related stuff can be I blogged, and blogged and blogged my heart out. Some felt that my thoughts about certain cars were true, some  hated them, some didn't know what to think about what I said but in life you shouldn't try to please everyone. In fact the person that you should firstly please is yourself. 



One of the best things about this job is that you get to network with people all around the world. I have long distance work commitments with people half way round the world, as well as right here in South-East Asia. It is a very international thing that I do and I am enjoying every minute of it. 


But unlike other more serious bloggers out there I still choose to work on my own time and trying out the cars that I happen to stumble across instead of really going after every new car out there. It is this method to my madness that actually allows me to be totally subjective or darn objective, towards a certain subject. I am not obliged to write truly unbelievable stuff about cars like, say the Chery Easterbunny is good or the hediously ugly Peugeot 207 sedan is desirable, which I believe to be less desirable to stroke and fondle than a 75year old retired GoGo dancer. 


Good isn't it? But it also could be said that I am actually quite lazy to type out an email that says "Dear Sir, I write for various websites and I wish to try test that new model you just launched and see if it can stir my soul or tingle my loins."


But folks, this is Malaysia. The last big launch was the Perodua Myvi 1.5 Extreme. This car may be fast in the Malaysia context but it is still an extremely upright and tall hatchback with narrow tyres. Actually how extreme is that in the first place? It isn't very extreme at all. If it were really extreme it would make 2million horsepower, have 22 inch wheels, gold studded Recaro seats and a 20 inch tailpipe exiting the rear. Or maybe some 'Type RRRRR' stickers at the rear for that imaginary 200bhp. 


Why can't they just call it the Perodua Myvi SEX instead? It makes sense you see. Myvi Special Edition X-treme. Now that would raise a few eyebrows. So what do you think? It would be well received wouldn't it? No? You unadventurous lot you.


Anyway, I was emailed by a Mr M (receiving mail from M makes me feel like a Double-O agent doesn't it?) from ProjectKahn about their new Bali Blue RS450 Kahn 4.4 Range Rover Vogue. I suppose when you've been writing stuff for so long people notice you and send you the latest updates directly. Is Bali noted for blue in the first place? Nevermind, the Range Rover looks pretty good in Kahn. Not that it has ever looked bad in the first place.


If you must know, I have driven a Range Rover before, a first generation 2 door version that still had that nice gurgling 3.5liter Rover V8. It, for a lack of a better word to describe it, rocked. Especially when the accelerator pedal gets floored on idle. Of course, in those days, Range Rovers were still pure, slightly luxurious farm equipment. Unlike the one pictured above. 



No comments: