Friday, July 20, 2007

The Audi TT Coupe at a glance...and some 'smart' People.









I was recently at the Malaysian launch of the new Audi TT coupe and enjoyed it very much. Yes, yes the car was good looking, but I enjoyed the food served there especially. They had those small oderves served by waiters and waitresses, they have music, colourful lights, usherettes and I repeat again, food that was pretty tasty to eat. It was also a rainy night but that didn’t seem to hamper the overall atmosphere. There were lots of people there, rich towkays, businessmen, doctors, lawyers, accountants, maybe some crooks and petty thieves as well as the towkay’s girlfriends, mistresses, wifes etc. I suppose an Audi TT is a good car for a rich chap to give to their girlfriends, mistresses and more.


I hopped in the car, since no one seemed brave enough to be the first, adjusted the electric seats to the position I felt comfortable with and then too my time and checked out the interior of the car while the others gawked at it from the outside. From my judgment, the new TT’s interior has gone totally upmarket with high quality material and bomb shelter like build quality. As in any sports car, you sit low and everything falls into place perfectly. From what I can tell, your butt will not be sore and you will not feel tired if you decide to jump straight in and drive all the way to Penang. The exterior of the car looks so much better than the earlier TT which basically was a VW Golf Mk IV chassis with a new Beetle body that was squashed to half its height. It actually looks like a proper sports car. Something you’d buy as an alternative to a Porsche Boxster/Cayman, Mercedes SLK or even a BMW Z4. The technology is also pretty innovative with the aluminium front and steel rear mated to give better weight distribution. The 2.0 Turbo engine has about 200bhp and would be quite efficient in propelling this small coupe forward as it only has about 1,370kg to pull. When I get to drive it a small write up on it will surely be posted here.

Sure the car was fine, but some of the people who were there were not so fine in my opinion. This was pointed out to me by my friend who I came with. He saw a towkay trying to fit his slightly chubby frame into the small back seat of the TT. It was then when I kept my eye out for people who wanted to try the back seat of the car; and believe you me, 2 other people somehow wanted to squeeze their adult frames into that small space behind. I mean, what is the point of trying to fit in the back seat of the TT if you intend to buy it? The TT is a sports coupe and it is a selfish car. It is basically for the driver and a friend to travel in. The rear seats are only meant for kids and for short adults with the height of 4 feet 11 inches. It is not for a guy who is approximately 5foot 10inches, wearing glasses, looking like an accountant or some learned person. This was the exact description I can give of someone who wanted to squeeze his tall self into the back seat of a coupe. If he wanted comfy rear seats, buy an A4 or a Q7 (huge, huge and totally huge….I don’t know whether anyone needs so much SUV to drive on the small KL streets.). If you’re trying to tell me that you’re trying to be smart and practical when looking for a car, you wouldn’t even be looking at a TT coupe in the first place. You are not being smart by trying out the back seat of a coupe. For goodness sakes, get that simple concept into your heads, people. 

I have one more thing to add. Audi needs to come up with a 2.0L Quattro version. Somehow, the 2.0l can only be had in Front Wheel Drive and a 3.2l Quattro version (at the point of writing). I’d love to see the lighter weight of the 4cylinder 2.0 matched to the AWD Quattro setup. It’s like all or nothing with the TT. Basic or with all the Extras. I prefer something in-between that it a little more balanced out.

No comments: